The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is hiring a Communications Intern (10-20 hours/week) to help share the work of CEGA and our affiliate network, and better translate research into action. The paid internship will start in September 2021 and end in December 2021, with the option to continue through the Spring 2022 semester.
CEGA is a hub for research on global development, headquartered at the University of California, Berkeley. CEGA’s large, interdisciplinary network—including a growing number of scholars from low and middle-income countries (LMICs)—identifies and tests innovations designed to reduce poverty and promote development. CEGA researchers use rigorous evaluations, tools from data science, and new measurement technologies to assess the impacts of large-scale social and economic development programs. Through careful matchmaking, competitive grant-making, and integrated research dissemination and policy engagement activities, CEGA ensures that the scientific evidence we produce improves the lives of people living in poverty.
CEGA is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion—please read our values statement here.
The intern will work with staff, students, and faculty across the center to develop multimedia content, disseminate through social media, monitor press coverage, and support website operations. S/he should have poise and experience communicating and connecting with a variety of actors—from social media outlets, to nonprofits, to researchers.
- Create and share a variety of creative and relevant content through CEGA’s Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts and other outlets. Identify key opportunities for CEGA to respond to breaking news or hot topics. Analyze, report, and respond to social media activity and trends.
- Coordinate the production of the center’s monthly newsletter and bi-monthly opportunities digest. Solicit, identify, compile, and edit materials from staff to produce professional outputs on short timelines.
- Track media mentions and publications of CEGA and our affiliate researchers and use this content to keep CEGA’s WordPress website (homepage), social media, and other communications outputs current, clear, and engaging.
- Manage CEGA’s Working Paper Series by posting new content from staff and faculty affiliates.
- Support the production of CEGA’s annual report and print collateral for our programs and events.
- Assist in the management of CEGA’s annual photo drive and maintain CEGA’s photo and media library.
- Track web and social media analytics and report metrics to better understand our user groups and audience.
- Manage CEGA’s Development Events Calendar and update it regularly with events hosted by CEGA or partner organizations.
- Ability to write timely and exciting blog posts with quick turnarounds.
- Strong ability to anticipate, plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines. Capacity to handle multiple projects at once, effectively manage time, and interface confidently with co-workers. Ability to manage a time-sensitive workflow while maintaining absolute accuracy with details.
- Relevant communications experience and a demonstrated interest in evidence-based policy-making. Advanced writing skills with precise, clear, and vibrant language.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, hard worker who enjoys working in teams.
- Demonstrate professionalism and discretion, exhibit good judgment when sharing news and information publicly.
- Flexible and able to adapt to change.
- Eye for design and style, both in web and in print.
Nice to have:
- Design skills and familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, iMovie, WordPress, Buffer, and/or similar programs
- Familiarity with development economics and social science research
- Experience using Google Analytics to analyze metrics and generate insights
How to Apply
To apply, submit your most recently updated resume and a cover letter, as a single PDF below.
The first review will be on August 27, 2021, after which applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. This is a fully remote position.