The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is the West Coast hub for research on global development. Headquartered at UC Berkeley, CEGA’s large, interdisciplinary research network—including a growing number of scholars from low- and middle-income countries—identifies and tests innovations designed to reduce poverty and promote development. Our researchers use rigorous methods as well as novel measurement tools—including wireless sensors, mobile data, and analytics—to evaluate complex programs. Through careful matchmaking, competitive grantmaking, and research dissemination, CEGA ensures that the research we produce is relevant, timely, and actionable to policymakers.
CEGA seeks a part-time (ad hoc) web developer (independent contractor) to support reorganization and reformatting upgrades as well as regular maintenance for a series of websites managed by the Center—including the main CEGA website and several independent websites (Faculty Director Edward Miguel’s personal website, Agriculture Technology Adoption Initiative (ATAI), Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences (BITSS), Cost Transparency, others). The developer will provide support as needed and work directly with CEGA’s Director of Operations and select Program staff to conceptualize upgrades, implement them, troubleshoot outstanding issues, and provide routine maintenance and security support. Example projects range from developing new navigation categories (taxonomies), to transferring a custom CMS to Wordpress, to addressing basic formatting issues, to supporting navigability/accessibility enhancements.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to a dynamic organization and several unique projects. We seek a contractor who can make a one year commitment.
- Migrate one existing website (custom CMS) to Wordpress and build a new website based on team needs.
- Advise on technical requirements and limitations for webpage/website (re)mapping and high-level design.
- Advise on UX, including webpage/website mapping (wireframing) and implement changes.
- Provide ongoing, basic technical support and feature modifications, including testing and debugging websites, troubleshooting occasional glitches, adjustments to UI design and formatting. Examples include improvements to related content sections of Wordpress taxonomies and enhanced search functionality.
- Support website navigability and accessibility, including for users with disabilities and slower internet access (load times).
- General maintenance and plugin updates including implementing security and automated backup protocol, and maintaining backups (as needed).
- Support integration of objects such as shinyapps and scrollytelling platforms.
The developer should have expertise in:
- Git-based deployment, HTML, CSS, and PHP
- Creating and working with relational databases
- User Interface (UI) design
- Developing custom forms
- Website security and ability to reliably backup website data
- Ability to connect remotely during Pacific time business hours
- Strong communication skills; ability to effectively translate technical content to a lay audience
- Ability to quickly and efficiently address technical issues
- Experience using the WordPress plugin Advanced Custom Fields (strongly preferred)
- Experience developing web platforms to support scientific research
- Experience using project management platforms like Trello or Asana
- Knowledge of R
Please submit a resume and 1-page max cover letter outlining your specific skills and fit for this role on CEGA's Submittable page.
The first review of applications is on October 1, 2020. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis thereafter.